Tuesday 12 June 2012

Anita Kala(FT13109)


Nothing can beat Dominos… !!!!   

It was a few weeks back when I simply couldn’t resist my temptation of having a pizza. So, I started searching for some options nearby but my taste buds forced me to look only for “Dominos”. I asked a few friends and came to know that there is one at the ECR Road. So, we reached our destination in about 35-40 minutes. Unlike other times, this trip was meant not only for having a Pizza but also to analyze the strategy Dominos follow. After all, there has to be some magnetic force which attracts so many people; no matter how far the place is, people somehow manage to go and grab the delicious pizza.

So, here we go with the in-depth research:-
IS IT JUST THE TASTE OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Well, that day I felt that it is not just the taste but something beyond it. Was it the Brand name or the fast delivery or the variety in the offerings? Honestly, I could not narrow down my option. Since the outlet at the ECR road is a small one (as compared to the ones I had seen before), there was a queue at the counter. But I realized that people didn’t mind standing in the queue. In fact, I could see happiness on everybody’s face.

“KHUSHIYON KI HOME DELIVERY” (BENEFIT/EMOTIONAL POSITIONING) :-

Change in the tag line from “Hungry kya?” to “Khushiyon ki Home Delivery”The reason behind this transformation is the shift in the focus from Functional positioning(Hunger) to Emotional positioning (Bond with the customers).


GOOD THINGS DON’T ALWAYS COME AT A HIGHER PRICE:-
People with the perception that “Pizzas are expensive and cannot be afforded by all” will be forced to think again when they look at the offerings at Dominos.  Price staring from as low as Rs. 50 is probably a strategy followed to attract teenagers.
 Besides, at times the coupons can fetch you a discount of 40-50%. These coupons can be availed via online shopping, mobile recharge, etc.  So, next time you get a pizza coupon, don’t just throw it off, it can really help you save a decent amount of money.


INTERACTION WITH THE STAFF:-
So, the first question I asked to the person at the counter was If they could deliver the Pizza to our college. And he denied. Although, I expected this answer but just wanted to check on how he would respond. After all, I wanted to analyze how you say NO to the customers.
So, there he goes with a polite reply:-
“Ma’am, we can but it’s a bit risky since it takes roughly 30-35 minutes to reach your college. But your college people are our regular customers and we just love to see them here. We might open an outlet near your college soon. Hope to see you again”.
Now, that’s a decent reply from an employee at the best pizza delivery company in India.
Next question was the “At what time during day do you have highest frequency of customers?”
“Somewhere around 6-10p.m.”, was the reply.

Then I asked him which age bracket do the customers generally belong to? He said “usually in the age bracket of 20-25”.
And finally I asked him how many people actually turn up with their coupons. His reply was a bit expected one “Only college students”.
So, that was the experience I had during my first visit. Next time, I am planning to do in –depth analysis of the sales and profit per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment