Thursday 24 May 2012

Coconut water, the speciality of South India..


Being a sports person, I have always been told by my coaches that coconut water is the best drink to restore body’s fluids and electrolytes and to calm the body down after any physical exercise and in cases of severe illness and exertion this quick electrolyte is really vital in boosting the lost fluids of the body. But I have never paid any attention to their suggestions and I have always used artificial drinks as the rehydrating drink. But ever since I landed in Chennai, I wanted to try the same once to test the credibility of my coaches’ suggestions. So, my urge landed up me in a mahabaIipuram where I met a person named S Rameshwaram who sells coconut water.

He sells coconut water at Rupees 15 per coconut and he usually is able to sell 30 of them in a day. So his earning for the day is 30*15=450. Since there is no expense related to the purchasing of the coconut as he brings all the coconut from his village in Annapuram, so we can assume that every penny that he earns is his profit. 

Though there was a language barrier which was delaying our end to end communication, I could gather enough data about his day to day selling activity.
I could relate a concept of direct marketing as he directly sells his product to the end consumer and there are no intermediaries involved.  More interesting was to note that he uses the left out material i.e. the outer skull of the coconut for house hold purpose like producing fire for cooking.
I will be back next week with a new experience and another post. 

Gurpreet Singh FT13132                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment