Thursday 24 May 2012

WHAT'S there in a name-HUT OR HOT:):) - Suchita Gupta FT13176


One day, roaming through the streets of Mahabalipuram, I got nostalgic about Bangalore, the place I call my home since past four years. I was missing the moments spent with friends gorging into slices of pizzas at pizza hut and the evenings when after a whole day of work I couldn’t think of anything but a pizza and waited patiently for the delivery boy. 


Suddenly as if my thought popped out of my mind and took shape in front of me, I could see a board saying PIZZA HOT. Now what’s that??
As if I was looking at a lost twin brother of Pizza hut, they seemed to share more than just the first name. I entered with an inquisitiveness of knowing what exactly it is? Amazingly, even menu looked a bit same as PHD (PIZZA HUT DELIVERY). I have heard of such things happening in china but never seen something of this sort in India. Adding more to the surprise was the menu card which also looked on the similar lines



So being a bit surprised, I spoke to the cashier cum delivery boy (Deepak) and receptionist cum waiter (Mahesh). I came to know they were both partners in Pizza hot. Deepak used to work as a pizza hut delivery boy in Chennai for 3 years. With the desire to start something of his own he leveraged on the experience he gained as a PH delivery boy and joined hands with Mahesh who used to work as a technician, to open their own joint, PIZZA HOT. Earlier there used to be no good place to have a pizza in Mahabalipuram, forget about home delivery service. This was inspite of receiving numerous tourists and having several colleges in the vicinity. So, both decided to open "PIZZA HOT" on the lines of pizza hut.

They had very limited budget to invest on the ambience. They have very well implemented their creative thoughts to put together a hut made off Bamboos and coconut leaves. Bamboo hut structure kept the investment low and it was also in sync with the culture and spirit of Mahabalipuram beach.



They have kept the delivery boxes for pizzas simple without compromising on the quality. These boxes are similar to those of pizza hut. Unlike Pizza Hut, which uses two different colors, the name is stamped in a single color on a white background.



They deliver at places for bills above Rs. 400. They have even delivered, a lot of times to the Great lakes campus. From my own experience I could say pizza was nice enough if not at par with Pizza Hut."Something is always better than nothing" as the saying goes in economics so true in mahabs  also.

            The Shop timings are 11a.m. to 11p.m. Mahesh is a good promoter as well. He told me that Spartans batch used to celebrate all their parties there, well I am not sure how true that is but I could see enough good reasons to do so. Some seniors have also mentioned about this Pizza hot in hang out places in Mahabs.They are getting many visitors from Great lakes,nearby colleges and tourism in Mahabalipuram.This all  is also helping them to establish firmly in the market.In addition to this they promote it on Local TV channels too by giving adds.

 Inspite of the similarities from Pizza HUT I believe they have done something substantial. I would not say it a copy I would rather say it as leveraging your past experiences as Deepak has well done. He even dresses like a delivery boy of pizza hut (same black one). So I appreciate the steps he has taken to become the wealth creator in the nation.(read as Entrepreneur).

So its about two simpleton men making merry by selling hot Italian cuisine.

THANK YOU





                *Source: Pizza Hot Tag Line.



No comments:

Post a Comment