Wednesday 30 May 2012

The best a man can get - Ishan Gupta (FT13139)

History :
For thousands of years, man has been fighting the unending battle with his stubborn facial hair.His face has about 25,000 whiskers, which are as hard and tough as a piece of copper wire of same thickness, and grow at a rate of 5-6 inches per year.An average man will spend in excess of 3,000 hours of his life in the act of shaving.

Introduction :
In our hostel, its a very common scene every morning that boys are shaving and looking into the mirror to check whether they are exactly looking the way they wanted to be.At that very time, looking at their shaving kits, I
realised that how a silly thing like razor plays a huge role in a man's everyday life.

If you shave today, you probably use a Gillette razor be it Mach 3,Mach 3 Turbo or Fusion. But, I wanted to know about the other players in the market for the same product.

Observation :
This blog I am writing after my 2 visits to Annapuram and Kalpakkam.
Since, my college is not situated in urban part of the country, I decided to use it to my advantage and study the mareket here.

Annapuram



 
Kalpakkam


Since the time I have started shaving, I have been using Gillette products and I had this preconceived notion that people here also might be using Gillette (may be lower end products (like Gillette Guard)), but on my interaction with the shopkeepers, I found that people here prefer two kind of products.

1> Disposable category : it has been especially designed to target low income consumers. Guard (Rs. 15) and Supermax (Rs. 18) are some of the products in this category. These products does not provide more than 3 shaves.

Disposable Supermax


2> Normal cartridge razors : they use double edge safety razor blades, which cost roughly 1.5 to 2 rupees, and which do not provide a very close shave. It is also risky to use as it causes nicks and cuts.

Normal Cartridge Razors

Blades used in Normal Cartridge Razors


Conclusion :
I found that high end consumers (my friends and some of the people in Kalpakkam (especially Hindi speaking population))  are satisfied with the brand Gillette and its attributes. However Gillette has not performed well with the customers who are slightly price sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment