Friday 25 May 2012

TRY Super market - Saptarishi Saha [FT13166]

TRY Super market - Saptarishi Saha [FT13166]

Few days back I went to Mahabalipuram for having haircut and buying little stuff.  Heard earlier that there is a supermarket near the bus stand. So went there. The name was weird - “TRY Super Market”. As if people need to keep on trying that store even if they could not find anything worthy. But I was wrong. It was a nice store, worth TRYing !! Before I got into it, I saw a fruit shop just outside it, a decent one. It was full of nice, fresh fruits. Looked like a sister store to me.
While entering the main store, I first encountered the cash counter. There were only two options for me – taking left or right. On the right there was a narrow lane full of perfumes and cosmetics - more of use to the ladies. So I had to take left. Not sure why, I started walking straight. Saw many people, mostly women taking soaps/oil/shampoo etc. in that row.
Then I reached the end. This time I found a rack full of spices, pulses – all of ‘TRY Again’ brand, which, of course, is the store’s own brand. It had nothing of interest to me, but the family people might. At the end of the row, I saw a room on the left, where they were packaging “TRY Again” products -seemed to me as a shortening of supply chain.
On the right, there were very less number of people. There was nothing interesting in that either – full of bags, bottles, utensils etc. I walked through that row till I reached the end. Now that I had already taken a round, I was back at the cash counter. The shopkeeper and the helper girls were giving me tough looks as I had bought nothing so far. So I thought – why not try the racks in the middle.
Ah!! Finally found something nice – Chocolates. Grabbed two of those. Saw a boy looking at the chocolates I had taken. Then he ran to his mother, you know why.
Had to take a haircut after this and it was already 9 pm. So I paid the cash and came out of the store.
Later, while having the haircut, I pondered about what I observed there and found few very interesting things. First, the layout of the store ensured that people go and find the “TRY again” products, although the substitutes are available in the same store. Second, the room in the store which was used for packaging – good way to decrease cost by reducing the supply chain. Third, the store was fully run by female workers- maybe to encourage women empowerment. Finally, I must say that the store was full of variety of people (poor to rich), which indicated that it was quite popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment